|Gravure print (postcard), ca. 1906|
The first image, with six mules by the seashore, is titled in the negative, "Clovelly, 'The Unemployed'". The second card is titled, also in the negative, "Clovelly from the beach". Both bear Frith & Co.'s printed credit verso.
Clovelly was a working herring fishing port in the early 19th century. The village is built on a cliff, and the high street is known as 'Up-a-long' and 'Down-a-long'.