L. E. Walker, Publisher (Warsaw, New York, United States)
Glen Iris and Portage Bridge, from Council House Bluff
Albumen print, Stereo card, 1870 to 1875
With the title, negative number (619), publisher's credit and series' name (Views on the Line of Erie Railway) printed mount recto; and the number and title written in a period hand, in ink, mount verso. NOTE: The Portage Bridge, on the Erie Railway, was constructed between 1851 and 1852 and spanned the Genesee River and three falls. The world's largest trestle-work structure, it ran 800 feet from bank to bank, and 1,800,000 feet of timber were used in its construction. The wooden ridge rested on three stone piers and rose 234 feet. The bridge was burned down in 1875, supposedly the work of arsonists.
Size:3 1/4 x 5 7/8 in. (8 x 15 cm.)
Condition:4
Price:$50
No. 21.177