|Albumen print, early 1860s|
Titled in a period hand, in pencil, mount recto.
Abbotsford is in the south of Scotland, near Melrose, on the south bank of the River Tweed. The nucleus of the estate was purchased by the novelist and poet Walter Scott in 1811. It began as a small villa named Abbotsford, and was gradually added to until it contained a large library, a collection of ancient furniture, arms and armour and other relics connected with Scottish history. The house was completed in 1824.