|Albumen print, Carte-de-visite, mid 1860s|
With the R.A. Lewis, 152 Chatham Street, New York studio imprint on mount verso.
Richard Lewis was one of three sons of William Lewis, of W. and W. H. Lewis, the renowned manufacturers of daguerreotype and wet-plate cameras and photographic apparatus. Richard Lewis opened a daguerreotype studio in Chatham Square reportedly as early as 1839, though it was more likely in the early 1840s. From 1852 to 1860 he was listed as a daguerreian artist at 142 Chatham Street. From 1859 to 1860 he was listed at 228 Bowery.
In 1860 he moved his gallery to 152 Chatham Street.