|Albumen print, Carte-de-visite, mid 1860s|
With "Methodist Church / Denver, Colorado" written in pencil in a later hand, mount verso.
The first Methodist Episcopal Church was built in Denver in 1860. With the coming of the Civil War the church was left almost empty, and the property was sold in 1862. Sometime after that, a neighbor church, St. John's Episcopal Cathedral, then called "St. John's Church in the Wilderness", was erected at 14th and Lawrence. The image here probably shows that church.