We provide many services for collectors and owners of photographs. Our clients include:|
- Collectors of photography, from daguerreotypes to snapshots
- Antique dealers seeking information on photographs in their inventory
- Caretakers of family photographic archives
Process and Style Identification
Many different kinds of photographs
and photographic processes have evolved in the course of photographic history. Even a modest
family archive can contain a dozen distinct photographic processes and styles, and many look
alike. Identifying and understanding these processes and styles is important in:
- determining the age of a photograph
- placing a print within a photographer's career (for example, "vintage" vs. "printed later")
- determining the monetary value of a photograph
- genealogical investigations
- organizing and caring for collections
Consultation on Preservation
Different kinds of photographs require different solutions for optimal storage and care. We advise
on appropriate storage conditions and materials, whether the concern is for a few photographs in a
drawer, or a large collection.
A good condition report is a prudent step for the collector maintaining his or her collection, or
considering a new acquisition. We objectively examine individual photographs to
assess condition. We look for signs of:
- physical damage (cracks, tears, abrasions, etc.)
- environmental damage (stains, fading, oxidation, etc.)
- situations where a mount or housing has (or will) affect condition, etc.
- concerns requiring the services of a professional photograph conservator
Though we are not licensed appraisers, we have been active
participants in the photography market for over 20 years. We have a reputation for
cautious, dependable valuations for both the photographs we sell, and photographs
brought to us for assessment. We also assist in finding and qualifying licensed
appraisers for photographs of special merit.
Representation at Auctions or Shows
We represent collectors in
person at the various auctions and shows we attend. Services include condition reporting
at the auction preview or show, bidding or buying on the collector's behalf, and when
successful, facilitating the close of the sale. Please see Our Calendar
for auctions and shows we are scheduled to attend, or Contact Us
if you are interested in something not on our calendar.
Where We Work, and Our Fees
We are based near Seattle, Washington,
and thus are best suited to provide our services to clients in the Pacific Northwest. We
can also provide valuable service via email and the Web. Visit us at any of the
shows where we exhibit, or Contact Us for individual arrangements.
Initial consultation is always free of charge. Fees for subsequent work are negotiated case-by-case.