|Albumen print, 1860s|
With the title written on mount verso, in ink, in a later hand, and "Built in 1828-29 Dedicated on Thanksgiving Day, 1829 Picture probably made in the 1860s", also in ink, in a second, later hand.
This church, now named the New Utrecht Reformed Church, still stands. It was established in 1677, and was used by the British as a hospital and a riding school during the Revolutionary War. The present church, shown in this photograph, was constructed in 1828 to 1829 using stones from the original building. It was one of the first structures to be declared a landmark by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission, on March 15, 1966.