|Albumen print, Carte-de-visite, 1870 to 1875|
Printed on mount verso "From Upton's Collection of Photographic Views, 4th Street, St. Anthony"; penciled in a later (?) hand mount verso "suspension bridge"
Thomas Griffith's suspension bridge across the Mississippi River between St. Anthony and Minneapolis, completed in 1855, was the first "permanent" bridge to span that great river. Griffith 'cut his teeth' with suspension-master John Roebling during the construction of Roebling's earliest suspension triumph that spanned the Niagara River.
Griffith was called back in 1874 to design the replacement for this original bridge, a much larger suspension bridge, which was opened for traffic in 1876. Following the opening of the new bridge, this classic structure was quickly torn down.